As I am diligently shopping at my favorite store which is having a blow-out sale and filling my shopping cart with goodies galore, I decide my family may need groceries to eat next week and hit the checkout button. After the standard routine of entering in all of your information and going to the final page, I look down and see this crazy shipping cost. What? No free shipping? Immediately, I Google for a coupon code. Nothing. That’s it, I don’t need the stuff anyway and close the browser. This is only one reason shoppers abandon their online shopping carts. Other things include, shipping time, return policies, price comparison, or slow check out processes.
We all are guilty of abandoning the shopping cart.
- 55% of cart abandonment rates are due to the cost of shipping. (US rate) (TrueShip, 2015)
- Over 80% of shoppers would make more online purchases if free shipping was being offered. (TrueShip, 2015)
How do retailers keep those shopping carts rolling, Hubspot suggests the following:
- Minimize Distractions
- Emphasize your customer service resources
- Make your shoppers feel safe
- Make the “back” button irrelevant
- Bypass account registration
- Emphasize your return policy
- Avoid exorbitant shipping costs (my personal favorite)